[Forum] [Fwd: Under the Brim | Red Hat | July 2002]

From: Svend Erik Venstrup <venstrup@mail1.stofanet.dk>
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 09:57:47 CEST

Hej AaLUG

Jeg håber det er ok med lidt nyheder???

--
Hilsen svend
(-;>/

attached mail follows:

Red Hat. Under the Brim. July 2002.
Red Hat. Under the Brim. Newsletter July 2002
   @ redhat.com   @ Contact Sales   @ Store   @ Products and Services   @ Support   @ Training

  in this issue   in every issue

RED HAT ANNUAL REPORT NOW AVAILABLE

We have just released Red Hat's 2002 Annual Report--highlighting customers like Amazon.com, DreamWorks, and British Petroleum, and a school system in North Carolina, that have migrated to Red Hat Linux.

@ Take a look

> Back to Top

NEW LEARNING COURSE TEACHES ENTERPRISE SYSTEMS DEPLOYMENT AND MANAGMENT

The number and breadth of applications included with Red Hat Linux and Red Hat Linux Advanced Server is enormous. A few important ones you should know:

rpm -- Red Hat's package management system
cvs -- a powerful version control mechanism
up2date -- the core client application of Red Hat Network
sysctl -- a mechanism for configuring runtime kernel settings

Red Hat Linux Advanced Server provides additional applications for configuring and managing high-availability and load-balancing clusters, including:

cluconfig -- failover configuration utility
cluadmin -- failover service configuration utility
clustat -- terminal-based monitoring utility
Cluster Viewer -- web-based monitoring of failover clusters
piranha -- suite of utilities for load balancing

Red Hat Global Learning Services is pleased to announce a new course, Red Hat Enterprise Deployment and Systems Management, that shows how to use these and other applications to manage multiple systems efficiently and effectively.

Please note that this is an advanced class, and that course participants must have RHCE or equivalent-level skills and knowledge.

@ Learn about this course

Get additional training information:

@ North America           @ Europe           @ Asia-Pacific           @ Japan

> Back to Top

TEAMING UP TO DELIVER ADVANCED SERVER ON HP HARDWARE

In a June 18 announcement, HP and Red Hat committed to certify and release Red Hat Linux Advanced Server across HP's Proliant Servers, blade servers, and Intel Itanium 2-based servers and workstations--expecting to be the first Advanced Server/Itanium 2-based systems available.

@ Learn more

> Back to Top

SAY HELLO TO MR. PROJECT

You've said it before. "I wish there was a 'Microsoft Project' for Linux." Well, stop it. There is! Mr. Project. And it ships with Red Hat Linux 7.3. It has everything you're looking for in a project management tool: Gantt charts, task wizards, at-a-glance calendars.

@ Want to take a look? We'll show you

> Back to Top

TIPS AND TRICKS: FUN WITH EVOLUTION MAIL FILTERING

In this month's edition of Tips and Tricks we introduce Evolution, an Outlook-style mail client for Linux, and focus on one of our favorite features: mail filtering.

@ Get the tips

> Back to Top

Q&A: MOZILLA 1.0 - CHRIS BLIZZARD, SYSTEMS ENGINEER/STUNT DOUBLE

Last month, the Mozilla.org group released the long-anticipated Mozilla web browser version 1.0--nearly four years in the making. Under the Brim sat down with Chris Blizzard, Red Hat's main contributor to the project, to discuss Mozilla, the state of the web browser, and the far-reaching benefits of reading the Economist.

@ Read the interview

> Back to Top

THE *ALMOST OFFICIAL* LINUX SUMMER READING LIST

The World Cup is over. Nothing but reruns on television. Too hot to go outside. (At least in our part of the world.) So what now? Read! Here are five books on our summer reading list. If you want, you can put them on yours.

p.s. Why do we link to Amazon.com for these books? Because Amazon.com runs Red Hat Linux, of course...

1. "Running Linux"
Matt Welsh, et al (O'Reilly)
Running Linux
The one-stop guide to installing, maintaining, networking Linux. Includes a comprehensive installation tutorial, info on system maintenance, tools for document development and programming. Plus, there's a really cool cowboy on the cover.

2. "Linux in a Nutshell"
Ellen Siever, et al (O'Reilly)
Linux in a Nutshell
If "Running Linux" is Batman, this is Robin. Spock to Captain Kirk. Or Mini-Me to Dr. Evil. Whatever. "Linux in a Nutshell" makes the perfect sidekick--a quick and complete guide to the core commands of Linux.

3. "Red Hat Linux Networking and System Administration"
Terry Collings and Kurt Wall (Red Hat Press)
Red Hat Networking and System Administration
Ok, so this is a plug for a Red Hat Press book. So what. Read it and you'll see why. It delivers the goods--everything you need to know to set up and manage a Linux network. Also includes strategies for maintaining system security.

4. "Red Hat Linux Survival Guide"
Mohammed J. Kabir (Red Hat Press)
Red Hat Survival Guide
A survival guide you'll actually use. Not like those books that tell you what to do if you're walking in the woods and a bear jumps out and takes your arm off. As the back cover says, "Exceptionally clear instructions for installation, upgrades, and dual-booting."

5. "The Future of Ideas"
Lawrence Lessig (Vintage Books)
The Future of Ideas
Ok, serious reading now. Want to know about the future of intellectual property and copyright law? Read this. Technology is the new frontier. Mega-corporations are ready to snap it up like greedy real estate developers when we're not looking.

> Back to Top

ASK SHADOWMAN: APPLICATIONS RUNNING ON RED HAT LINUX

He can lobby Congress with one hand, throunce you at Galaga with the other! He maps the human genome with an Atari 2600 and a Pong paddle! The tri-county squat-lifting championship is his to lose!... He's the Shadowman... And last month we asked you to send him your questions about Red Hat Linux applications.

@ Read Shadowman's answers in all their molar-grinding brilliance

NEXT MONTH: Imagine you're at LinuxWorld and you see Shadowman. What's the one technical question you would ask him?

Send your question right now to: askshadowman@redhat.com

> Back to Top

THIS MONTH'S WEBCASTS

Enterprise Systems Management

Join Red Hat Network Senior Engineers as they guide you through enterprise systems management with Red Hat Network. Topics include advanced setup and grouping techniques, as well as an in-depth look at security with disconnected options.