Re: [Forum] kernel

From: Mads Toftum <mads@toftum.dk>
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 11:37:07 CEST

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 11:35:47AM +0200, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:

> Jeg kÝrer kernel-2.4.12 uden problemer... SVJV er den et bugfix til den
> noget uheldige 2.4.11, derfor den korte tid imellem udgivelserne.

Yeps.

"
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
Subject: Uhhuh.. 2.4.12
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 01:04:49 -0700 (PDT)

2.4.11 had a fix for a symlink DoS attack, but sadly that fix broke the
creation of files through a dangling symlink rather badly (it caused the
inode to be created in the very same inode as the symlink, with unhappy
end results).

Happily nobody uses that particular horror - or _almost_ nobody does. It
looks like at least the SuSE installer (yast2) does, which causes a nasty
unkillable inode as /dev/mouse if you use yast2 on 2.4.11.

("debugfs -w rootdev" + "rm /dev/mouse" will remove it, although I suspect
there are other less drastic methods too if your fsck doesn't seem to
notice anything wrong with it. Only one report of this actually happening
so far).

So I made a 2.4.12, and renamed away the sorry excuse for a kernel that
2.4.11 was.

                Linus
"

vh

Mads Toftum

--
With a rubber duck, one's never alone.
              -- "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"